There’s just one thing better than a nice cup of tea and that’s a nice cup of tea and a bit of cake. Not every day of course, just now and again on a special occasion or when you’re in an undeniably cakey mood. You know, THOSE days.
One would imagine that the only thing better than tea and cake would be tea and cake with all the people in the past, present and future that you have ever wanted to meet.
I’ll go first:
- Judi Dench – she seems like a tea and cake kind of woman
- Barack Obama – just because I want to meet him and when he sand Al Green I fell more in love.
- John Goodman – I bet he likes cake and another thing better than tea and cake is tea, cake and a good chuckle!
- Helen Mirren – she definitely seems like she’d love high tea with all the trimmings
- Stephen Fry – do I really need to give a reason?
Other things possibly better than tea and cake:
- Tea, cake and accompanying favourite live music – a tinkle of jazz piano perhaps for that extra high tea cliché
- Tea, cake and room full of puppies
- Tea, cake and your three best friends
- Tea, cake and a winning lottery ticket in your hand
You get the picture. I know we could both add lots more to these lists but instead, let’s ponder why tea and cake is so damn lovely.
Well first of all, tea has some excellent health benefits. Dependent on which tea you drink, it can help prevent signs of ageing, can help with allergies, heart disease, bone strength, cholesterol and green tea is said to be cancer preventative.
And what about cake, why is there nothing better than a lovely slice of cake? Of course the sugar content helps. It tastes good as well as gives us a little sugar boost, making us happy. If your cake is chocolatey then it too can have health benefits as it will contain antioxidants.
So basically what we’re saying is tea and cake is the best thing ever and taken in the afternoon will give you the little lift you need to avoid a post lunch slump and get your day done.